Service Discovery Protocol
This was our first work plan.
(See also Talk:Service_Discovery_Protocol)
The result of this first work plan led to the second Work Plan, for early 2006. So this page is here for historical interest.
The first work plan
The Yadis service discovery protocol has not been adopted. This page discusses the work toward adoption.
See the current draft Yadis specification. See other proposals for changes to the current draft at Draft Proposals.
The work plan for chosing a first cut capability discovery protocol:
0) Provide requirements for a service discovery proposal. Add a requirement to the list on the Draft-002 Requirements page. Discuss requirements and their priorities using the links there.
The goal is to document all requirements, so that they can be considerd while judging the proposed protocols.
1) Anybody who wants to make a proposal on how to best do service discovery: write it down as an actual proposal so people can understand how exactly it would work.
Add a row to the table on the Draft-002 Alternatives page; briefly list the pros and cons of your proposal, and provide a link to a page for detail and discussion. Or just send a proposal to the Yadislist.
The goal is to document all the proposals by the end of the day Monday 28 November '05. Then to discuss them on this wiki and on the Yadis list. To help others, please add to this wiki all important points raised on the discussion list.
Information on the work on this draft is at Decision progress.
2) Thursday 1 December, 11 AM sharp, whoever can make it, get together around a big whiteboard at Six Apart in San Francisco, look at the proposals carefully, and agree on which one it's going to be.
3) After the decision is made, the Yadis draft gets updated, and we all start implementing. The update work is at Current Draft Specification.
Optional 4th step thereafter:
4) If, during implementation, it turns out we made a really bad decision and it is unworkable, we revisit.